Are you a big gaming fan? Do you enjoy spending your free time completing games and reaching those high scores? Then a gaming livestream may be right up your street. A chance to play some of your favourite games or challenge yourself to a new game whilst raising some money for MS-UK what’s not to like?
Here’s how you host your own gaming and fundraising livestreams
1. Make sure to choose your console – PlayStation, XBOX, Nintendo, PC
2. Choose a platform you're going to stream on - think where you're likely to get a better response, for example, Twitch or YouTube
3. Think about the scheduling of your livestream
- What day of the week do you want it to be on?
- What time are you planning it to start/finish?
- Are you going to bring any guests into the livestream via the internet?
- What games are you going to play and in what order/at what time?
4. Set up a fundraising page for donations
- JustGiving is purpose-built for this and you can easily share your link with others
- If you decide to use Facebook Live we would recommend using Facebook Fundraising
- Include all the livestream information and timings on this page so it is all in one place for people
5. Organise and promote
- If you are a member of gaming websites, contact community discord moderators and ask if you are allowed to promote on there
- Maybe create a YouTube video to explain what you’ll be doing
- Share on social media to create a buzz building up to the day
- Reach out to the Game Developers of games you are planning to play, see if they can help promote
- Make sure to tag us on social media so we can share your post
6. Set goals with incentives to encourage donations
- For example, when you reach £100 you’ll get a cream pie to the face
- Engage with the people watching and ask them to interact with you while playing – when they donate perhaps they can request a specific ‘move’ within the game
- Include donation goals and ensure donation alerts come through while playing
7. Most importantly of all, make sure to always thank everyone who donates – it doesn’t matter how much you raise whether £5 or £50 it’s all about the charity. MS-UK will use your donations to continue to run the services we provide which support people affected by multiple sclerosis.
Click here to make a donation
If you would like to discuss your fundraising ideas or need any support for us, email Lucy@ms-uk.org. Our team are always on hand to share their expertise!